LuminousWebs is designed to allow anyone, anywhere, to typeset any of the millions of public-domain works in the world. There is no limit to the number of versions that can be created, how they can be laid out or formatted, or what they might look like. The only limit is imagination! People may edit and update each other's book projects like a Wiki, or ask that their creations be set aside and protected just for them.
Books, poetry, verse, and lyrics that are out of copyright and in the public domain are all welcome. The first few books are already begun.
And of course, the end-goal is to create books that can be cherished just like real books. Books, that is, that leave an indelible mark as deep and dark as ink on paper.
The most important innovation of all for this project is the marriage of the enormously flexible and advanced MediaWiki with HTML5 Web Fonts technology to produce beautiful books that the internet could never before bring to life. To that end, be sure to check out our Fonts.
- Paradise Lost
- Moby-Dick; or, The Whale
- Les Misérables
- Grimms' Fairy Tales
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
- The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
- Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
- Take the Wikipedia Editing Tutorial. Everything is the same here on LuminousWebs, except there are a few additional features here.
- Take the Luminous Webs Tutorial, focusing on features unique to LuminousWebs.
- Read the Quick Start Guide over at the Wikibooks Project.
- Dive into a book and see how it's done. Almost every page on this website can be edited.